Roy Header: Live Golden Bleed Black

Community Council

April 10, 2018

Attendance - Kirt Swalberg, Rob Lake, Alicia Mitchell, Tyler King, Lynette Atkinson, April Murray, Casey Roche, Rick Morgan, Julie Morgan, Cordale Lamb, Stefane Lamb, Lee Yeagley, Cynthia Morgan, Trina Favero, Rae Ann Christensen, Jennifer Bessinger

Welcome - Jennifer Bessinger

Minutes read and approved

  • Amend Trustland 2017-28 Plan proposed by Kirt Swalberg.
    • Money used for salaries during this year was not as high as thought.  It is proposed the money be used to purchase more chromebooks. We would like to have at least 1 set per department.  
    • Amendment was voted on by all in attendance and approved unanimously.
  • Community Council Elections
    • Discussed not opening up a spot for members because there is only one person leaving.
    • Other community members are showing interest.  Suggested to open it up for voting on members.
    • Email for nominations for those interested in being a member of  Community Council will be sent out in the next couple of weeks by Kirt Swalberg.
    • Jennifer Bessinger nominated to be co-chair for the 2018-2019 school year.
    • Voting ballots were turned in.
    • Jennifer Bessinger was voted in for Vice-Chair 2018-2019.  Cynthia Morgan will be the Chair for the 2018-2019 school year.
    • Boys Tennis - lots of improvement and lots of kids improved and participating
  • Extracurricular Teams/groups
    • Girls Golf - 18 girls on team.  3 have played golf before. Transitioning girls in and out.  
    • Track - They have had 2 track meets.  Another one this week. Curt Crossley and Josie Williams have both have qualified for state.
    • Baseball.  Their record is 4 - 3 in pre-season  They have their first Region game today.
    • Softball - Their record is  3 - 1 in pre-season.
    • Soccer - Their record is 6 - 1.
    • Performing Arts Dept. -  Solo and Ensemble Festival and Drama - 51 drama students qualified for state.  May 3-5 Spring Musical.
    • Cheerleading - tryouts are this week
    • FFA - qualified for nationals.
  • Meetings will continue to be held on the 1st or 2nd Tuesday of each month in the mornings for next year.  
  • No meeting in May.

COMMUNITY COUNCIL

February 13, 2018

Welcome - Jennifer Bessinger

Attending - Lynette Atkinson, Kir Swalberg, Alicia Mitchell, Rob Lake, Rae Ann Christensen, Casey Roche, Tony Dick, April Murray, Jennifer Bessinger, Cynthia Morgan, Cordale Lamb

Stefane Lamb, Lee Yeagley, Rick Morgan, Julie Morgan, Trina Favero.

Welcome - Jennifer Bessinger

Technology - Quinn Henderson  (District Tech)

  • Digital learning.  You tube - Safe Search and Restriction Mode Enforced - Administrator approved videos
  • Facebook is blocked (Administration and Resource Officer allowed)
  • Twitter - allowed
  • Pinterest - blocked (staff allowed)
  • Linkedin - allowed
  • Google Image Search - safe mode enforced
  • Other Social Media - blocked
  • Bad images or any inappropriate content should be reported to admin.  What searching and computer searching on.
  • Student Devids and Desktop Management Systems.   Airwatch used for IPad management.  Chromebook Management -
  • If you sign in to a school account at home it will filter through the district filters.  Create student gmail account at home.
  • Netsupport - for Desktop Lab management
  • Online Digital Citizen - The thought and responsible use of technology to find, evaluate, utilize, share, and create content.
  • Netsafe Utah - videos at the main content for the CIPA education.  Common Sense media is being used.
  • The Common Sense Digital LIteracy Curriculum - 8 categories covered. Each lesson has a detailed lesson plan. Can be used by parents.

Input on Cords - Alicia Mitchell

  • Awards and Recognition committee - preserve graduation ceremony.  Classy event.  All teachers wear robes with degree represented.  
  • A way to recognize all kids but the ceremony is about all the students.  
  • New Royal Cord - Black and gold cord
    • Earn cord - involved in something outside of classroom - not sports related.
    • 3.5 GPA
    • No original attendance credit loss.  
    • No U’s or no more than 3 N’s
    • Student Involvement - Must be an active participating member in a club or organization for 3 years or earn an award at the state or national level.
    • Service - 25 hours or more of service.
    • Working with Club advisor with portfolio
    • It would help unite students and would help students with attendance and gpa
    • RHS must be the student’s home school.
    • Recommendations will be welcomed. 
    • For this year seniors it will be looking a little different.  Students will go through their club or organizations to apply for this cord.
  • National Honor Society Cord will stay.
    • It speaks for Unity.  
    • GPA was discussed.  Possible 3.0 GPA   It would be their CUM GPA.
    • It will be presented at their 10th orientation or presenting it at their 9th grade orientation.
    • We haven’t decided yet how we will notify students of new cord policy. 
    • We had 12 kids nationally that qualified.  That would trump the other requirements.  

Ideas for new Land Trust Plan - Kirt Swalberg

  • Grade Distribution
    • F Grades 6.2 % first quarter.  6.6% 2nd quarter.   Our goal is 5%.  A big portion is from students that just don’t come to school.  We do home visits.  We are not willing to drop kids and keep trying different programs:  PM School, Job Corps,
    • If they don’t get to graduation, we have moved them farther along in their education.
    • Discussion on if we set the goal wrong and do we need to reset it.  Maybe 6% would be a better goal.  Have 2 goals - one for those attending and one for those not attending.
    • Is there tutoring for any other subject than math?  This year we have not had as much participation with the students coming to class.  Science would be a second choice for more tutoring.
    • More routers or are network speeds good enough.  
    • ACT - is there an opportunity to add a class during the day to add to their schedule.
    • Literacy with Ms. Strong and Mrs. Hartnett has been doing well.  Like to see it continue.
    • Literacy as it applies to subject being taught.
    • Literacy in Math.  (Alex program) some teachers are not requiring it anymore.  
    • Our district does not have a platform to collect data.  $6.00 a student.  They are meeting with us today to get more information.  Maybe do a trial with it this year.  

Review Athletics - Alicia Mitchell

  • 3 Academic All-State.  Laura Hadley, Alex Lamb, and Josie Williams.  
  • Boys - 1 in 10    Girls 1 in 18 from 5A that receive this award.
  • Swim - 2 students competed at state - Matt Williams 14th in 100 fly and Stephanie Williams
  • Wrestling - 11th overall in state   8 boys went
  • Boys BB - tough season - 2 games left hope to have a 4th place seat
  • Girls BB - Currently share region title - play Woods Cross Wed.  State on Monday
  • Royalaires - Competed at state.  Nationals in March
  • Debate - will compete in region qualifiers
  • Cheer - competed in region had a great time

Performing Arts - Rob Lake

  • Roy High hosted District Choir, District Band and District Orchestra
  • Jazz Band - solo ensemble Mar. 7
  • Choir - region competition Mar.14

Orchestra

  • Drama - Suffragettes performance will be Feb. 23, 24, and 26.   Any place to put posters
  • Drama will be doing One-act plays
  • Nina will be doing “Beauty and the Beast”
  • March 4 - Performing Arts Tour - going to Salt Lake and Boise

Land Trust - Kirt Swalberg

  • projected money - $177,849
  • Review of last months suggestions - ACT parent and student classes.  (student said class was great) learned how to manage time.  Students wanted to be there which made environment great.  Maybe add an afternoon class?  Try to do a morning session - 3 sessions total.
  • Technology - projectors are 10/12 years old.  Bulbs and projectors are expensive.  Replace them with a better unit.  Smart Panels (new Technology) don’t have to turn down lights, high resolutions, no projector, touch screen.  Mr. Jones and Mrs. Riggs both have them and we have been very pleased with them.
  • Each English teacher has own set of Chromebooks - CTE has 4 sets and we have 3 other sets in the building.  
  • Tutoring (with math)  We have made an adjustment and moved the class to the library each day at 2:45.  

Community Council
January 9, 2018

Welcome – Jennifer Bessinger

Attending:  Kirt Swalberg, Lynette Atkinson, Jennifer Bessinger, Cynthia Morgan, Stefane Lamb, Julie Morgan, Rick Morgan, Trina Favero, Alicia Mitchell, Rob Lake, Rae Ann Christensen, Casey Roche, Tony Dick, April Murray, Shaun Graves, Tyler King, Nadine Curtis.

Any changes in email let us know.

Minutes for last month was read and approved.

1. ACT Workshops and plans for Classes. - Mike Brown

  • Talked to parents on feedback on ACT prep class.  It was decided to keep it in the evening.  2 workshops.
  • The 1st workshop was how ACT come to be.  Handouts on study skills.
  • The 2nd workshop was for practice websites.  
  • There is a morning class with Mr. Dick and Ms. Harnett.  17 students attended.  30 students have shown interest in the class.  Monday and Wednesday are for math classes.  Tuesday and Thursday for Science and English.  
  • We should be able to do 2 or 3 sessions a year.  
  • Do parents have any idea how to market it?  
    • Send information to teachers to spread the word.
    • Post on the Counseling web page.  
    • Counselor corner button to be added to website with new material.
    • Try to do one in the afternoon.  Early morning seminary and drivers ed conflicts with the mornings, but there is also lots going on in the afternoon.
  • Next year we will try to do about 3 sessions.

2.  R&R Discussion. - Rob Lake

  • There are requirements to leave for R&R but any kid can stay in class.  We want our teachers to have one and one time or small group help that they need.  Teachers are not to be behind their desk working.  
  • It is not happening – a little worse with the honor students as well as the other.
  • It is intimidating to approach the teacher.  
  • Guidelines whether they stay or not.  It could be just time for them to work.  
  • Why can’t they move around?  We don’t want to overload classes.  Students can bring up the portal and look at what assignments they are missing.  
  • Sometimes teachers are pulled in a lot of directions helping students during R&R.  
  • Parents could look at portals and find out information missing and talk with them about them.  
  • Students don’t want to get help in front of their peers.  
  • We as teachers can do better to get the student help and engaging students.  

3.  Graduation Rates – Kirt Swalberg

  • 13% F’s for this quarter as of last Thursday.
  • Graduation rates –
    • 2013 - 74%
    • 2014 - 77 %
    • 2015 - 84%
    • 2016 - 88.6%
    • 2017 - 90.06%
  • When a student enrolls in one of our junior highs they are ours – even if we don’t see them.  They count against our graduation.  97% of our students here did graduate but with all others figured in (those that aren’t attending), it is at 90.6%.
  • Students not coming to school has been put back on the school instead of the courts getting involved.  That is why we have student advocates in place.
  • All 4 high schools were above 90%.  We have had the most significant increase.  
  • 90% is not our goal.  We will continue to fight.  
  • 4.  Extracurricular teams/groups updatesAlicia Mitchell

    • Swimming – 2 region meets left.   2 kids in top contenders.
    • Wrestling – beat Bountiful.  They have a small team this year.  They have done really well
    • Boys Basketball - tough preseason schedule.  Made addition of Mr. Puzey as a coach
    • Royalaires – competition this past weekend.  They took 1st overall in 5A
    • Cheer – Welcomes a brand new coach – lots of progress being made.  They took  4th at competition
    • Girls Basketball -   8-3 record.  They are making a run for region title.  Josie Williams is doing a great job and has signed with UVU.

    5.  Sub for Santa - Kirt Swalberg

    • $20,000.00 was raised  
    • 26 families helped.  
    • Started a food pantry and give help that way.
      • Granite School District may have a lot of ideas for food pantries.
    • Bar J Wranglers earned a lot of the money
    • It’s A Small World playing
    • Mrs. Mitchell – kiss a pig.  Admin shaved heads.

    6.  School land trust plan. - Kirt Swalberg

    • Ideas were asked for to include in Trustland plan.
    • ACT might be something we would like to continue
    • Technology.  Smart panel – started using them this year.  About $4000 each. We have 2 right now with math teachers.  Most of our projectors are 10 years old and bulbs are very expensive.
    • Chrome books - hopefully have them in all classrooms in the future.  6 sets of portable labs and all English teachers have a set.  
    • Google classrooms are being used.
    • Canvas – used at Weber State and we are starting to use Canvas.
    • Improve or help in math – such as tutoring (students are not taking advantage of it) Maybe look at doing it in the morning.  Kids want to go to their own teacher.  
    • Maybe have another teacher help in a class during R&R instead of watching the hall.
    • April assigned to talk about it next meeting.
    • Look into grants for help.
    • Come up with ideas for next meeting

    7.  Counseling –  Casey Roche

    • Registration this month – idea is for Registration online.  February – 30 minute meetings with students and parents.  If you have constructive feedback let us know – so we can let the District Techs know to help with the process.

     

    safeUT TipLine

    safeUT Followup